Monday, December 27, 2010

Art + Interiors: Black and White Optical Illusions [Bridget Riley]

Hello! I hope you all had a lovely holiday and are keeping warm, I apologize for the lull in posts this week but I'm getting my booty back in gear now. I realize my posts lately have been heavy on the color so I thought I'd do a throw back to the classic black and white palette but of course with a major twist. Enter Bridget Riley...
The English artist was iconic in the 1960's with the Op Art movement, a body of work which sought to trick the eye of the viewer causing optical illusions. The movement produced works of art that pulled you in then seemed to vibrate right in front of you. Riley's works in particular show a great deal of meticulous restriction in line and color letting the eye of the viewer fill in the blanks.
And I was especially smitten with the photographs of Riley in her studio which make me nostalgic for my days as an Art Major at the University of Washington where I would spend hours in the print studio loosing track of time. Riley's work speaks to immersing quality of art and shows us that black and white doesn't have to be boring at all...
 
Rug Madeline Weinrib, Scuplture Chiasso, Pillow etsy BeStillShop, end table Arteriors Home, Art Chiasso, pillow Sachin and babi, Coffee table Jayson Home and Garden, Ottoman/tile Sparrow and Co., Sofa Room and Board
 

"The eye can travel over the surface in a way parallel to the way it moves over nature. It should feel caressed and soothed, experience frictions and ruptures, glide and drift. One moment, there will be nothing to look at and the next second the canvas seems to refill, to be crowded with visual events" -Bridget Riley 

And a few quirky black and white interiors for you...Enjoy!!
image via ArhZine

image via art-deco-interior.blogspot.com





1 comment:

  1. Bee-autiful post! Love your black and white interior interpretation as much as your colorful ones! That R&B couch is as comfy as it is gorgeous too...I tested it while I was scoping out my dream sofa over there a few weeks ago...it was a close contender! ;o)

    ReplyDelete