message

*** Hello! This blog was written from 2010- 2014, Find me and my current work now at www.LauraBurkhartCreative.com ***

Monday, December 20, 2010

Art + Interiors: Psychedelic Modern

Happy Monday before Christmas, readers!! I'm back with another shock of color for you, as I am now back in Seattle in the dead of winter, I'm finding myself in need of bright vibrant interiors.(it tends to be a bit grey here...) And because I've always felt like a flower child (voted most likely to name my children Rainbow and Sunshine in High School) I am bringing you a 70's inspired post today...

Who doesn't love the Beatles really? And these posters done by photographer Richard Avedon in 1974 capture the mood and energy of the era perfectly. Psychedelic hues and organic decorative motifs and I imagine if you were lucky enough to live in this era these posters would bring you right back there. Otherwise for those of us that can only dream, a little Bohemian Modern style for our homes....
rug via abc carpet, light fixture via abc home, pillow via John Robshaw, table via casamidy, chair via design within reach, pillow via madeline weinrib
A mix of patterns and textiles in saturated hues against industrial materials and organic surfaces is the key to this look. I love this home done by the L.A. design collective Commune. Roman Alonso's home is the perfect modern hippie abode. Vintage concert posters mixed with earthy accents and artifacts from his world travels create a casual, cultural look while the metallic finishes keep things from feeling too granola. Enjoy!  



photos via House Beautiful

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for modern hippies! Haha, I love that tidbit about high school...I can totally see it. You are such a kind soul Laura :-) that commune is jaw-droppingly awesome! I'd gladly take any one of those rugs...wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preserve the hippie era! Good job.

    ReplyDelete