Thursday, June 2, 2011

Love it / Live it: Being Ballsy [Abstract Expressionists]

Good morning! Today I'm excited to share some BIG news with all of you. As Kelley (Moore) announced on her 'Ramblings' interview with me yesterday, I will be taking an ENORMOUS leap into the world of a freelancer. As Kelley follows her dreams to the Big Apple next month, I will be pursuing my passion for art and design here in Seattle as an independent contractor. This is of course incredibly scary but Kelley has taught me to be bold, take risks and follow my heart and I could not be more excited to see what lies ahead.  While I'll be doing graphic design work for Kelley and some other clients, I'll be officially hanging out my shingle as an interior designer, silk-screening everything I can get my hands on, and painting on a daily basis. And I cannot think of anything better to inspire such a ballsy and frightening risk than the work of the Abstract Expressionists...  

Jackson Pollock poured his heart and soul into each painting, virtually living in each painting for days on end and producing work that no one had ever laid eyes on before. "When I am in my painting, I'm not aware of what I'm doing....Painting is self discovery. Every good artist paints what he is" - Jackson Pollock

De Kooning painted with such a fiery passion that emotion seems to jump off the canvas in each of his paintings. "I don't paint to live, I live to paint" -Willem De Kooning

"The modern artist is working with space and time, and expressing his feelings rather than illustrating" -Jackson Pollock

Robert Motherwell's lifelong dedication to abstraction redefined artistic philosophy in the 21st century. "Art is an experience, not and object" -Robert Motherwell

"What you do when you paint, you take a brush full of paint, get paint on the picture, and you have faith." -Willem De Koooning

pillows via Wary Meyers

Abstract Expressionist work continues to remind me to take risks, be authentic and paint from the heart rather than the business-savvy mind. When there are bills to be paid and a world of people judging that heart you're wearing on your sleeve this can be a hard one, but I pledge to stay true to myself and the work that comes from the soul even when the road gets tough. And I want to thank each and every one of you that stops by my little corner of the internet, your support means the absolute world to me.

3 comments:

  1. Even though I just "met" you, I can tell you'll go far! You've got the passion and the talent and hopefully learned business savvy from Kelley.

    It's an exciting opportunity! We'll follow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pillows are insane! Love this post and remember to follow your passion and the money will come, law of the Universe.

    ReplyDelete