Wednesday, June 15, 2011

My Daylight 6.15.11

Hello! A lot of people ask me where I get my inspiration when I paint and 'What does it mean?' so I thought I'd spend a minute on my own process. First of all, I am a very happy painter. I think painting is a great way to release emotion and to express agony or frustration, but for me, I paint the best when I am happy and light. So my paintings usually reflect a lot of positive emotion, whether it be in the palette, the brush strokes or the patterning, it's always optimism that I hope comes through the most. As far as where I get my inspiration, it comes from all over and in the things I post here everyday, I just soak it all in like a sponge and then see what comes out. Often I have no plan of attack when I start a painting at all, but sometimes one item will catch my eye and I just can't wait to translate it into my work. And this week, I was inspired by Free People's April catalog.....


I have always loved Free People but this year their look has been so completely up my alley I just can't get enough of it. I love the bold hues, abundant accessorizing and of course the heavy plumage. They mixed Southwest with West Coast in such a beautiful way. So I ripped out some of my favorite looks and mixed a palette...


The great thing about taking this approach is that you end up using color combinations and dividing up space in ways you may have never thought of. Its been a while since I used the color red but I love the way it accents the palette. And as you can see I updated my blog header to better reflect my own work after receiving my Bamboo tablet and stylus and am now able to literally draw and sketch in Photoshop! Anyway, just a peak into my own crazy little head, I hope you're all having a wonderful week full of inspiration and optimism...Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. love the new header image and I can't wait to see what you whip up with your new bamboo tablet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! Love the color combination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post Laura! Love seeing into other people's artistic process. Congrats on the tablet -- they make designing/painting/drawing sooo much easier! Can't wait to see more of your work! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. the colors are great! Looking good :))))

    ReplyDelete