message

*** Hello! This blog was written from 2010- 2014, Find me and my current work now at www.LauraBurkhartCreative.com ***

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Art + Interiors: Emerald and Sapphire Decadence

"I feel there is something unexplored about woman that only a woman can explore"-O'Keeffe

I have said it before and I will say it again, I love strong-willed women and Georgia O'keeffe fits the bill. She pushed the envelope with her bold abstractions and was no stranger to criticism by any means. But her paintings were extensions of herself, she painted to express rather than to impress. Though she became well known for her large close-ups of flowers, I tend personally to be more drawn to her abstract works, especially these in beautiful Sapphire blues and emerald greens.

"I found I could say things with color and shapes that I could not say any other way-things I had no words for." -Georgia O'Keeffe
"I had to create an equivalent for what I felt about what I was looking at, not copy it"-Georgia O'Keeffe

Live in it...

I am absolutely lusting over these rich, decadent pieces by Marjorie Skouras. They have the same bold, saturated feel of the O'Keeffe pieces and yet they are so innately feminine. Add this gold and malachite end table to a seating area for and extra pop of glamour or amp up an old dresser by replacing it's knobs with these in jewel colored stones, instant decadence!

No comments:

Post a Comment