message

*** Hello! This blog was written from 2010- 2014, Find me and my current work now at www.LauraBurkhartCreative.com ***

Monday, May 23, 2011

My Daylight 5.23.11

Hello and happy Monday! As usual, this weekend flew by, but not without some moments of inspiration and creation. Thursday night found me at Velocity Art & Design, sipping cucumber infused vodka cocktails courtesy of Effen Vodka, and talking design with some of my favorite Seattle creatives. The shop is a beautifully curated mix of modern and earthy brilliance and an absolute feast for the eyes. Especially love this artwork by Rex Ray with it's brash color combos and rough geometry...
All the gorgeous goods are online too so make sure to check it out, there really have something for everyone. My man even made a purchase of a set of wooden toothbrushes, design for personal hygiene? love it!
The weekend found me looking to my inspiration boards and soaking in some of my favorite artists work before breaking out the paints...

A blank canvas can be intimidating so I just start mixing paints until I get to some hues that really get me going and then I throw some paint on the canvas. Once the clean white canvas has some color on it I find it's a lot easier to keep up the momentum, rather than making decisions ahead of time. For me, painting is as much about the process as the product and a painting can take on a hundred looks before I feel it's complete.
These two canvases are in the very beginning of that development and I have no idea where they'll end up but I thought I'd share a little bit of that process with you. Hope you all had a great weekend, how are you tackling the 'blank canvases' in your life?? Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. super fun to see you my dear - hope we do it again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like a fun time! I love rex ray! really need his book for my coffee table collection ;) can't wait to see your finished painting...it matches your ad button right now!

    ReplyDelete